Saturday, August 11, 2012

Simply A Supermom: Eliza R. Snow



"Sister Eliza R. Snow . . .  never had children of her own. Nevertheless, she recognized the importance of a mother’s influence. She counseled Relief Society sisters, “Let your first business be to perform your duties at home.”
("Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society," Chapter 9)

The above quote stood out to me as my focus this month has been to "Do My Duty."

I grew up loving stories about this wonderful woman.  I admired her writing ability which began as a young girl.  I admired her willingness to support and love her brother Lorenzo, Who later became President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I admired her willingness to wait to marry until she found someone with high values like she had. 

My admiration continues to grow as I experience more of life.  She suffered and rejoiced with the Saints from the very early days of the church.  I marvel at the wisdom and insight she shared as she served as the Second Relief Society General President from 1866 to 1877.  That is a long time to bear the responsibility of teaching and leading the women of the world.  She is an example of a woman with knowledge "of things both in heaven and in the earth" (Doctrine and Covenants 88:79)

She is an outstanding example of a Supermom who chose to mother all those around her despite the challenge of not giving life to her own children while she lived in this life.  She must have found ways to be optimistic and look diligently for reasons to be thankful and for ways to serve others.

Sister Snow, Thank you so much for your example for me.


Be Inspired,

Janelle Joy

See also:
 Wikipedia
"Invocation, or the Eternal Father and Mother" ("Oh, My Father") poem
"Oh My Father" (hymn)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails